Author Topic: not all music files are scanned [Solved]  (Read 3776 times)

garolou

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
not all music files are scanned [Solved]
« on: March 08, 2011, 23:44:03 »
Hi,
firstly I'd like to say thanks to the creator(s) of this application. It is now the best of all that I've tried. Unfortunately...

some music files, mp3s or flacs, are not scanned or if they are they are not included in the database. Some are just a few from an album (making it hard to even know there is a problem unless looking for a particular song); sometimes the complete album. All of these "problematic" music files are scanned and played successfully in other applications.

In version 1.0.2, if I dragged some files into the queue (from nautilus), the problematic files would show a 0 length with no details, basically a blank line would show in the list where the song would have been if scanned correctly. In 1.1.6 no blank lines appear.

Is there anything I could look at to help troubleshooting, let me know.

thanks,
:-)


ps I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, GMB 1.1.6 audio set to gstreamer
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:25:39 by garolou »

Quentin Sculo

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1082
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:39:52 »
Can you send me some of these files ? by email, file hosting website or any other way.

garolou

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:54:50 »
I just emailed you a small mp3 sample to test with.

Quentin Sculo

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1082
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:41:14 »
I didn't find any problem with it, even tried with old v1.0.x version.
Can you try putting a copy of this file in a temporary folder, for example /tmp/, run gmb like this :
 gmusicbrowser -cfg /tmp/delme
(it will launch a gmb using an alternate configuration file : /tmp/delme)
and add the file. If it doesn't work, can you look at the output from the terminal.

garolou

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:24:18 »
That worked fine (the test.mp3 was stored locally)...

drag test.mp3 into queue output result:
Code: [Select]
Reading Tag for /home/david/Music/test.mp3
IDs_Changed
AA::CreateHash(idlist album)
AA::CreateHash(count path)

but if I drag a copy of the same file from my music storage area (on a network server) I get:

drag test.mp3 into queue output result:
Code: [Select]
Reading Tag for /home/david/Music/MP3onServer/test.mp3
File '/home/david/Music/MP3onServer/test.mp3' does not exist or cannot be read.
can't read tags for /home/david/Music/MP3onServer/test.mp3
Error reading tag for /home/david/Music/MP3onServer/test.mp3

The problem seems related to the storage location being on a network. But why only certain files?
So I look at permissions and I find that the working files are set at 644 and the non working ones are set at 600.

I change the permissions to 644 and everything works fine now!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

It works now, I'm happy but a question remains for the curious: Why did it not work for this application but it was no problem for others (I retested with Clementine)?


Quentin Sculo

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1082
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned [Solved]
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:52:49 »
It reminded me of a similar problem I forgot : http://forum.gmusicbrowser.org/index.php?topic=133.0
The user didn't run the test I suggested at the end, and I forgot about it. Can you run it ?

VastOne

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned [Solved]
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 04:58:27 »
This could be related to the Buffer Duration settings that was tested and resolved by the tweak you provided

Same situation exactly and with an attached drive. 

Clementine has the ability to adjust the Buffer Duration (In Settings/Gstreamer Audio Engine/Buffer Duration) and when you made the mod for my friend, it resolved it.


garolou

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:02:53 »
Here is the result from your script on a test folder with the 3 files set to 600 and 3 set to 644

Code: [Select]
total 11312
-rw------- 1 nobody nogroup  842244 2011-03-04 16:33 01.mp3
-rw------- 1 nobody nogroup 2643263 2011-03-04 16:35 02.mp3
-rw------- 1 nobody nogroup 2933492 2011-03-04 16:34 03.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 2398904 2011-03-04 16:31 04.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup  617902 2011-03-04 16:33 05.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 2112831 2011-03-04 16:25 06.mp3
Looking at files in MP3onServer/testFolder/ :
04.mp3
06.mp3
01.mp3
 -r false
 -R false
05.mp3
03.mp3
 -r false
 -R false
02.mp3
 -r false
 -R false


Quentin Sculo

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1082
    • View Profile
Re: not all music files are scanned [Solved]
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 06:17:30 »
thanks, that's what I thought, I do a "-r" test to test if the file is readable, but it seems to sometime fail when it shouldn't. I guess I'll just remove them, they are not really important, the following "open" will get an error anyway if the file is not present or not readable.