Hi all,
first message here. I'm just discovering gmusicbrowser since I switched on XFCE yesterday.

There's something pretty common in usual audio players: when typing anything in the search field, it launches the search among every data/metadata it can. For example, typing "pink" would return every 'pink' occurences in Title, Artist, Album, Filename, ...

I didn't find this in gmusicbrowser. As from now, I have to manually select in the drop down list if I want the engine to search among Titles or Artists or Filenames or ... But I want all of them. I know there is a way to set one's custom filters made of several criteria, but then they're saved for one specific string over all the criteria. In other words, I want to use such custom filters and the 'specific string' to be a variable filled with the research textbox value.

If I can find how to do this, gmusicbrowser would be the ultimate audioplayer I'm looking for for 7 years.

thank you

michaël

Currently you have to check all the fields in the drop down submenu "select search fields", I'll probably add an entry in the menu to select all text fields or something like that. As well as a special field name so that you can type something like all:search_string or text:some_string.

great! It seems I was using a layout that wasn't providing this magical "select search fields" submenu. There were 2 drop down lists at the left of the search filed, with no magnifying glass in the latter.

I changed the layout and now I found the submenu, and it's ok...

was this "layout dependent feature unavailability" made on purpose?

The layout you were using was using the widget FilterBox which is now mostly replaced in layouts by SimpleSearch (the FilterBox widget is used internally for the filter editor).
btw the SimpleSearch widget has powerful syntax, though I still have to add a help dialog to explain it, a few random examples :
title|album:string
year:2011
!not_this_string -not_this_one_either
-title:not_this_string
~regular_expression
title~regular_expression
"string with space" OR (title:string1 album:string2)
lastplay=1d-2d
lastplay<1d
lastplay=2010-2011
added=2011-09..2011-10