October 10, 2021, 00:15:37 Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 00:23:19 by User-asks
I've used foobar2000. All my files have Custom Field "RATING" with numbers from 1 to 5. I have mp3s, flacs, m4as..
Version 1.1.16.
I can not see this in tags via GMB. If I make in foobar2000 different fields like "RATING2" - I can see this tag in file description. But not in the playlist via custom tags - It's empty.
foobar2000 doesn't see your rating tags at all. So I cannot figure out how to transfer all my Ratings (It would be great, not to delete previous one.

But to tell the truth - It would be awesome to make my old rating visible in playlist. It seems like player intended to do so, but it doesn't work :(

And personally - I think it makes so much sense. 1 to 5 stars rating seams enough. Having the same tag field name

Other than that - YOUR PLAYER ROCKS!!!!! For years I didn't like the idea to join linux because there was nothing comparable to foobar2000. And GMB seams super-great!

Rating tags are a bit of a mess.

Currently, gmb will only write ratings using the FMPS standard, which I'm afraid did not caught on. If that tag is not found, it will try to read a 1-5 "rating" tag, which I thought fb2000 used, but maybe they changed that, I see  (https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:ID3_Tag_Mapping) that for mp3 they use the POPM id3v2 tag, which I highly dislike (because it is coupled with a play count and uses a 0-255 rating which is not easy to translate to sane numbers).

I personally prefer writing the rating as a 0-100 number, which can be presented to the user as 1-5 or 1-10 or whatever.

Currently gmb doesn't let read/write user-defined tags, they are just kept in gmb's db, but I plan on enabling this.

Can you send me (squentin gmail.com) a sample of your files with fb2000 ratings ? One mp3 and one non-mp3 at least.