Is there a way to display total length of the songs in the playlist or queue?  Right now, I can see length of individual song but not all the songs in the list......I really hate to pull out a calculator to do this :)

The Total widget (used in the default browser layout) can display length/size of library, of selected songs, or of listed songs of an associated SongList/SongTree (click on it to change mode).

Sadly, it still doesn't work with TabbedLists :(, but it will in the future. So currently, it can only display length of playlist or queue if your layout has a SongList (or a SongTree in v1.1.x) in playlist or queue mode.

For the queue, the queue icon tooltip contains the length of the queue.

I'll add other ways to display this kind of info.

I'm using version 1.0.2 and my window player layout is "playlist,library & context".  I couldn't find the total widget, is it only available in version 1.1.x?

You have to edit the layout to add a widget, for example, here is a modification of "playlist,library & context" :

[Playlist, Library & Context with Total]
Type=G
Default         = Window size=1120x820 SongList2 cols=playandqueue_track_titleaa_length_nbplay_rating VPRight 200_550
VBLeft          = VBplayer 5_SongList2(mode=playlist,group=1) EditListButtons(group=1,small=1,size=small) Total1(group=1)
HBButtons1 = Vol Prev Stop Play Next
VBSongList = HBSongList _SongList(activate=addplay) Total
MBmenu = MainMenuItem PSortItem PFilterItem QueueItem
MBlist = HistItem LSortItem PlayItem
HBmenu = _MBmenu
HBButtons3 = 5Sort 5Filter 5Queue 5Pos -Stars
HBTime = LabelTime Length _Scale
HBTitle = Filler0 _Title
HBArtist = LockArtist _Artist
HBAlbum = LockAlbum _Album -Date
VBText = HBButtons1 2HBTitle 2HBArtist 2HBAlbum HBTime
HBText_Cover = _VBText 5-Cover
VBplayer = HBButtons3 HBText_Cover
HPfp1 = FPane1(nb=2,hide=1) FPane2(nb=3,hide=1)
HPfp0 = FPane0(nb=1,hide=1) HPfp1
HBSongList = FBox -FLock -PlayFilter -Refresh -ResetFilter -MBlist
VPRight = HPfp0 _VBSongList
TBRight = _"Library" VPRight _"Context" Context
HPBottom = VBLeft _TBRight
VBmain = HBmenu 5_HPBottom
HSize0 = Filler0 LockArtist LockAlbum
VolumeScroll = VBplayer
ExtraWidgets = button HBButtons1(relief=none)

I added a Total widget under the SongList in playlist mode and the other SongList, you can easily remove one by removing one of the strings "Total" or "Total1(group=1,size=small)"

To use it you must save this for example in  ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/layouts/with_total.layout
restart gmusicbrowser, and select the layout "Playlist, Library & Context with Total".

Cool.....I like it.  Thanks for the code.  Everything works except for the the "listed songs" option on playlist.  I have listed option on both the playlist (left pane) and and the songlist (bottom right pane), the total on the songlist update properly, but the one on the playlist doesn't update.  It always show the same value even when I clear the playlist or change the numbers of songs in the playlist.  Can you give me some advices?

Yes it has a few problems in v1.0.x, the "listed" mode should be understood as the result from the last filter, manual modification (adding/removing songs) of the list will be ignored. And when associated with a SongList in playlist mode, the Total widget won't be automatically updated when changing the Playlist filter.

All this is fixed in v1.1.x, the "listed" mode now really means the listed songs and is updated correctly.

#7 April 10, 2010, 23:02:37 Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 23:57:52 by die_welt
Hello Quentin,

me again, once more. At the community radio / free radio I work, we now use Linux and I installed also gmb there. We need it for playlist-generating. The browsing is superb, but the playlist-support isn't best. But it's o.k.- the playlists generated with the m3u-plugin works fine with the automatisation-SW.

Very important for our issue is the total length of the list - this works with the layout from this thread, even the total time is only updatet, when clicked on the time. But this general view has more disadvantages. Anohter thing is, that only the selected files are written in the .m3u.

I checked the manual, where the layouts are explained, but it is to complicating for me to do this my own. ??? Sorry, i am only user and the manual is for developers, I suppose. They need to know exactly what a widget is, where to place in gtk and speak english well. I don't :(

So may you can help me with another layout. I would like to have
* general:
- buttons ... very minimal
- tabbed playlists only - one title per line/column (for max. vertical space performance, rows: title, artist, playtime, genre (?), album (?), path+filename(?)
- total time of list

If the total-widget(?) doesn't work all right with different lists and there is only one list performed, I need to check, where these mouseclicks are defined. Last time it happened, that I deleted the whole list by double-clicking by accident ::).

All the other PL-generating-persons in the radio do it with XMMS. The 2 didn't recognize the power of gmb yet.

Hm, for the m3u-outplay you should start the file with
#EXTM3U
like that it's said in wikipedia; the rest looks similiar to XMMS as we configured it there ( - there are more possibilities; but this is fine for debugging). But I would prefer to write out all the files listed and not only the selected. At my first try I was really wondering, what's going wrong then.

Ähm, with the warnings on 1.1.x about backups, I didn't try that one.

other question: these files there
http://gmusicbrowser.pastebin.com/f6a719e90
still works with the downgrade-compatibility? I checked myself and it works. Great, so I only need a total-time there ;).

I checked the search-filter in diewelt-Browser. The path and filename isn't searched.
May you can make that available?
May in the general-window the 'broom icon' is possible?
May even a 'save playlist'-icon like in winamp and xmms this load and save PL?
May also less space for the playing area?

Thank you, anyhow  8)

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

The Total widget in v1.0.x really doesn't fit your needs.
In v1.1.x I fixed the Total widget to work with TabbedLists, so I suggest you try v1.1.5, it should be ok, but a backup is always a good idea, even with v1.0.x :)

The following is only for v1.1.5+ :
I added the Total and an "save playlist" button to the diewelt-Tabbedlists layout :

[diewelt-Tabbedlists2]
Type=G
Default = Window(size=820x500)
HBButtons = Vol Prev Stop Play Next Playlist Pref Quit
HBIndic = Sort 10Filter Queue 10Pos -Stars
HBTitle = Filler0 _Title LabelsIcons
HBArtist         = LockArtist _Artist
HBAlbum = LockAlbum _Album -Date
HBTime = LabelTime Length _Scale
VBmain = HBButtons HBIndic _VBText -HBTime
VBText = 2HBTitle 2HBArtist 2HBAlbum
HBmain = _VBmain 2Filler1 -Cover
HSize0 = Filler0 LockArtist LockAlbum Sort
VBglobal         = HBmain 4_TabbedLists HBbottom
HBbottom = PluginM3UExport _Total
VolumeScroll = HBmain

(the export button only appear when the export plugin is active)

I added the #EXTM3U and #EXTINF lines to the exported .m3u files.

to search the filename or folder in diewelt-Browser, you can (in v1.1.x) use file:SOME_TEXT or folder:SOME_TEXT
I'm thinking of ways to edit the list of possible fields to search by default.