I've enabled the plug-in 'gnome mmkeys' and the play/pause button on my Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard responds as expected.

However...
When assigning keys to next/prev (settings>keys) they fail to work unless i have GMB focussed, which isn't much use to me.

I've tried using the back/forward keys on my KB, ctrl + assorted numpad keys, etc, but nothing seems to work. Most frustratingly; I can't assign ctrl+arrow keys to functions.

Any ideas?

SOLVED:

assign following to key combination of choice via: system>preferences>keyboard shortcuts
gmusicbrowser -cmd <command here>

settings->keys is not for global shortcuts. Global shortcuts don't really have a standard way to be set currently as far as I know, so you must configure them yourselves in your window manager.
see the question "How do I control gmusicbrowser with global shortcuts or multimedia keys" in the FAQ : http://gmusicbrowser.org/faq.html

the command :
gmusicbrowser -remotecmd PlayPause
will toggle between playing and paused
the command :
echo PlayPause > ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser.fifo
will do the same slightly faster.
You can also send the command through DBus.

use "gmusicbrowser -listcmd" to list the available commands

Thanks.

So far i've tried:

Custom command via Ubuntu Tweak / keyboard shortcut settings: gmusicbrowser -PlayPause
And the same again but with: gmusicbrowser -remotecmd PlayPause

But neither seem to work.
I have both the Gnome mmkeys and MPRIS v1 plug-ins active.

Oh sorry, I copied the line from the FAQ, and forgot I've made a small change in v1.1.x, you now have to run "gmusicbrowser -cmd PlayPause" instead. (I need to update the FAQ answer)
If it doesn't work try running it from a terminal and see what it tells you.

Quote from: Quentin Sculo on December 24, 2010, 13:28:58
Oh sorry, I copied the line from the FAQ, and forgot I've made a small change in v1.1.x, you now have to run "gmusicbrowser -cmd PlayPause" instead. (I need to update the FAQ answer)
If it doesn't work try running it from a terminal and see what it tells you.

Worked perfectly!