Hi all,

I had gmusicbrowser working fine, and then I needed to format and reinstall my media drive (it's a long story).   I reloaded all of the files, and now the cover art refuses to load in gmusicbrower.  I have tried v1.01 and v1.02, and also uninstalled v1.02 and installed the v1.15 alpha with no luck.    With v1.15 I was able to force the art to display by going into full-screen and choosing the .jpg that resides in the album folder, but there's no way I'm going to do that for all of my music.     It is almost acting like the old folder art path is cached somewhere.    

I've rebooted a few times with no luck, done the "check for updated/deleted" and "search for new songs" and successfully had other players load the art (but with almost 50,000 songs, I don't want to use anything else).    Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Edit:  Oh yeah, I'm using Ubuntu 9.10.

yes, this is a problem I need to fix :(
In the meantime, the solution is to edit the save file in ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/, named "tags" for v1.0.x and "gmbrc" for v1.1.x
With v1.0.x you can manually remove the section with cover art near the end of the file, the covers should then be auto-selected when doing a new scan.
With v1.1.x this method won't work as the auto-selection of covers is not yet re-implemented :(

For both version, the best solution currently is to auto-replace the path of the covers with a command like :
for v1.0.x :
perl -pi -e 's#/old/path/#/new/path/#g' ~/.gmusicbrowser/tags
for v1.1.x :
perl -pi -e 's#/old/path/#/new/path/#g' ~/.gmusicbrowser/gmbrc
replace /old/path/ by the path where your music resided before, and /new/path/ by the new path.

By the way, you can select each cover manually with any version of gmb, by right-clicking on an album, no need to go into full-screen.

Oh sure, now I see it (that'll teach me not to read  :) ):  "the auto-finding of covers for albums during collection scans is not implemented yet"

I just uninstalled v1.15, deleted the whole ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/ folder, reinstalled 1.02 and set it up from scratch.    And huzzah, cover art!

Thanks for the help!    (I did try your suggestion about editing the tags file, but it was 12.4 MB and I figured just recreating it would be easier than trying to get in there and edit it   :) )

Quote from: Punkin Donuts on May 13, 2010, 16:32:32
(I did try your suggestion about editing the tags file, but it was 12.4 MB and I figured just recreating it would be easier than trying to get in there and edit it   :) )
Well, if you only changed the path of your music, the small perl command I posted will be much quicker, and you won't lose the rating and play count/last play/skip count/last skip info nor any of your preferences.

That's OK, I don't use ratings or play count.   :)   Plus to be honest, I don't remember what the exact old path was.  The hard drive had a weird super-long letter/number sequence in between the /media and the /drive name, something like /media/ASD2342DFS2333DSD234/music which is the reason I wiped it in the first place.   I was having a hard time installing some of the perl bits necessary to make your plugins work and that seemed to be the issue, since when I moved them to another drive they installed normally.   

Thanks again!

you can find the old path in the tag (or gmbrc) file. :)
Also, it's a good idea to use symbolic links, to, for example, make your ~/Music/ always point to the place your music is.
(just make sure to add the files in gmb using the ~/Music/ path and not the real path)

Ah, good to know.   I think I have it dialed in now, I just won't mess with it again (hopefully).   :)