March 03, 2013, 17:36:29 Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 17:41:06 by val43
I've been trying all day to get GMB to read my custom tags (on mp3 flac and other files), but I realize it simply cant.

and why not allow us to write a custom field to the file tags?
why use the fpms standard to store the rating?

I think this should be addressed with the highest priority.
I'm not an expert programmer but I'd be glad to help.

No possible currently.
I do plan to allow this. Part of the reason I haven't yet is I'm not sure what level of control I want to give users, internally gmb uses a tag description that is not very user friendly, and small errors would lead to messy tags. So I must come up with another system. There should probably be some checks so that custom field doesn't write standard tags or things like that.
Another reason is I need to study what other programs that support custom tags are doing, not only what tags they are using, but also what format the values are written in. So that there is a reasonable level of compatibility, and to see what users expect.

About the fmps standard for ratings, it is because the other existing rating standards are a mess and not adapted to my ratings: a value between 0 and 100, for some standard 0 is considered no rating.

Then I really hope you'll decide to entrust us with that ability! The sooner the better :)

Quote from: Quentin Sculo on March 05, 2013, 01:40:34
Another reason is I need to study what other programs that support custom tags are doing, not only what tags they are using, but also what format the values are written in. So that there is a reasonable level of compatibility, and to see what users expect.

not sure if this is of any help, but I noticed both kid3 and easytag pull id3lib as a dependency.
http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/

For most custom fields there is no link currently with any tag.
The only exception currently are the custom fields of type rating if the option to read/write it is checked.
The RATING field in your screenshot is not of type rating, else it would appear like Rating field above (with the stars and the spin button). Also if enabled the ratings are written using the fmps standard (because it's the only correctly defined standard I found).
The standard field Rating, and only this one, if its option to read/write tags from file is enabled, can read from a "rating" tag, assuming a rating from 0 to 5.WARNING when writing a rating it will use the fmps standard and DELETE the "rating" tag.

Sorry I chose I bad example..

QuoteFor most custom fields there is no link currently with any tag.
anyway, this is what I wanted to verify.
are you going to support this? please let me know

BTW, I don't want a type "rating" field. I want to use my own rating tags, which can be easily read by any other program as "RATING" and not "FMPS_Rating".

Quote from: Quentin Sculo on April 06, 2013, 22:10:43
The standard field Rating, and only this one, if its option to read/write tags from file is enabled, can read from a "rating" tag, assuming a rating from 0 to 5.WARNING when writing a rating it will use the fmps standard and DELETE the "rating" tag.

yes, reading the "RATING" tag (1 to 5 integer) works for flac tags, if GMB writes that tag (with the advanced tag editor).
it doesn't work for pre-existing tags, or id3v tags. didn't check vorbis tags.