February 14, 2010, 20:01:04 Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:48:43 by daveleh
Good evening,

I am using gmusicbrowser (v1.0.2) on pclinuxos running kde4.3, on an Acer Travelmate 5320 laptop, and am having problems using a pair of altec lansing usb speakers. The speakers are identified by kde as using:


The speakers are set as the desired default, when connected, for all services and work fine through the usb port with amarok, and are controllable using kmix.

I have tried all manner of configurations in the audio tab of the settings, for both gstreamer and mplayer but the only way I can get an output is by connecting an audio lead from my headphone socket to the line in on the side of the speakers. Whilst this works and gives excellent sound I would like to be able to use them direct.

Has anyone any ideas as to what I may need to do or can point me in the right direction for further testing please.


Dave Le H.

I'm not sure I can help you, as I don't have much experience in audio configuration.
Looking around a bit, I found the commands "aplay -L" and "aplay -l" that could give interesting informations.
The output of "mplayer -v REPLACE_ME_WITH_AN_AUDIO_FILE" could also be interesting.
Post the output of these commands and I'll see if it gives me ideas.

I have successfully used USB sound cards with the mplayer backend by exporting the environmental variable ALSA_CARD=<card name> before starting gmb. For me the USB card is named "default" (dunno why) so I just do

~$ ALSA_CARD=default gmusicbrowser

and use the mplayer backend. There could be a better way to do it but this works for me.

Thanks for all the comments. I haven't had to try any of them tho because I have found cure. I have swapped distros to LinuxMint and everything works fine, I can even plug the speakers in after I have booted and then set them as the output device.

Thanks again

Dave Le Huray