Hello! So my suggestion is to change the way we manage the artists of a song.

Put in the same way that manages the genres. Add, delete ...

Thanks

Hi, it's more or less planned, though I'm still not completely sure how.

My current idea is to change the "artists" field (that is currently a multi value field derived from the "artist" and "title" fields) to make it an editable multi-value field independent from other fields. That way you could set the artist field as you want, used to display the artist and to search for example on last.fm. And the artists field could for example contain the band name (and maybe band aliases) and the band member names. And if not set, artists would fall back to the artist list derived from artist and title fields as it is now.

example:
artist=Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
artists= Graham Nash, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, David Crosby
That way you can still display "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young" as the band name, and use it to search last.fm or others, and gmb would know what the band members are, so searching for artists containing "Neil Young" will match these songs.

One question remaining is how it would be saved in the tags.
The fmps standard defines a field containing a list of artist names and their role in the song (vocal, guitar ...) Though of course the role information is nice to have it is rather cumbersome to use in many ways.
I think some software save multiple artist tags, though I'm not sure how it is used exactly

Ideas welcome

Hi, my suggestion to artist managament is to make for field 'artist' a checkbox that mean a human name (unchecked mean a band name) and sort human name by last word.

example:
Artist: Bob Dylan (checked)
In artist list: Dylan, Bob

Artist: John Lee Hooker (checked)
In artist list: Hooker, John Lee

Artist: Led Zeppelin (unchecked)
In artist list: Led Zeppelin

A idea for multiple artists and band name will be implemented? (or is?, in my 1.1.9/Ubuntu isn't works).