I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist yet, but I think it would be of some use.

You see, I use gmusicbrowser across three different computers. And the main issue is, my ratings and custom playlists all exist separately, with no way to have them be the same across all three computers (unless I copy gmusicbrowser's settings of course).

So I was thinking... Maybe it would be nice to have a plugin that can sync this data. It would certainly be useful for people like me with huge collections to be able to slowly fill in their library with appropriate ratings, view counts, playlists, layout etc, and make sure these stay, even when switching computers, without having to backup and copy over these settings every time.

Downside is of course that whoever writes this plugin will need a reliable server that can handle enough data, or perhaps find a way to do it through existing cloud solutions.

If you copy gmbrc file (in ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/ repository), stats, custom playlist will always stay the same. Only thing to do : change the default repository in this file (and the file in your music repository). Need a plugin for that ?

As things are, yes. The point would be to have a latest version of the data online at all times so that all instances of gmusicbrowser can download (and upload) to that and basically have the same stats without the user having to manually copy that file over from system to system. The fact that all these stats are actually in a single file (probably?) makes it easier to implement.

Note that this is just a request to perhaps give a developer out there ideas. :) However, if nobody ends up being interested, I might try to learn Perl and give it a try myself. Just seems like an useful thing to have when you're working on several systems!

This would mean : gmbrc file in the cloud.
But where in the cloud ? Third party cloud : Ubuntu One ? Dropbox ? Or not : Buy a server to do this ?
This is not only write some program lines...

Yes indeed. As I said:

QuoteDownside is of course that whoever writes this plugin will need a reliable server that can handle enough data, or perhaps find a way to do it through existing cloud solutions.

Well if you want everything the same on all your computers, ubuntu one/dropbox will work perfectly, you just need to put in the synced folder a link to the ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/ folder or the ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/gmbrc file (the folder includes gmbrc backups, and user customizations such as layouts/icons/plugins).
The only problem in that case is that you need to restart gmb after you have you used it on another computer, as that's the only way to make it re-read its gmbrc.

If you don't want your computers to have the same layouts/options or if they don't have the same songs or not in the same location, that becomes much more complicated.

Alright, looks like the solution indeed doesn't actually need any kind of plugin. I have yet to test if things work fine on my other systems, but I just moved the entire gmusicbrowser config directory into Dropbox and put a symbolic link to it in ~/.config. Didn't seem to break anything, but I will have to see what it does on my other systems (once I set up the symbolic links on those systems too).