Hello everybody,

What can i do with Replaygain?
Are there standard to fill in the Replaygain options or what do i fill in there?

Do i change after that the Tags in option Tags?

Thanks a lot,

Mario

Basically, replaygain is meant to equalize the volume of the different songs, so that you don't need to change the volume when a new song is playing.
More info on replaygain : http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=ReplayGain_1.0_specification

Replaygain tags data are meant to be filled by a a program that analyze the audio data, gmusicbrowser can do it : an option to analyze the file(s) should appear in the song(s) context menu, unless the option is unchecked in audio->replaygain options. There is also a button to lauch the analysis of the library in the audio tab of the settings dialog. (in version 1.1.10)

There are also other programs that can do that, such command-line programs mp3gain and vorbisgain. In that case you will need to refresh the tags in gmb to make the replaygain values appear in gmb, and to use them if you are using mplayer (if you are using gstreamer the replaygain values are read by gstreamer itself before it plays the song so gmb does not need to be aware of them)

You can also edit the replaygain values manually, but that is not how it is meant to be used.

Thanks for your answer so far.

When i go to audio>replay option i only have to checked it? And the rest will be done?
I saw in updated tags in the option Tags that you can ad value information to your tags like album, title, genres and also the volume of the title.
Do i have to checked one of these for the replay gain? Like Title volume?

This is what i don't see: There is also a button to launch the analysis of the library in the audio tab of the settings dialog. (in version 1.1.10)

Thanks Quentin Sculo for your great help.

Mario

QuoteWhen i go to audio>replay option i only have to checked it? And the rest will be done?
if you activate replaygain there, it will adjust the volume of the songs you play, either using the gain found in the tag, or using the fallback gain.

I saw in updated tags in the option Tags that you can ad value information to your tags like album, title, genres and also the volume of the title.
Do i have to checked one of these for the replay gain? Like Title volume?
No this is to write values from gmb to the tags, but usually you don't need to do that, it is only useful when the 2 (gmb's database and the tags) don't match. In particular it is useful if you activate the 'write rating to tag' option, and want to write all the existing ratings that were only set in gmb's database.

QuoteThis is what i don't see: There is also a button to launch the analysis of the library in the audio tab of the settings dialog. (in version 1.1.10)
this is probably because you are not using the recent 1.1.10 version.

Good morning Quentin,

I still don't understand everything about the replaygain.
I think you can help me better with that. I don't see other information here about it so i have to ask it.

I attached pictures now to make it easier.
Picture 1 This is what i don't see: There is also a button to launch the analysis of the library in the audio tab of the settings dialog. (in version 1.1.10)  I checked it and i have 1.1.10 version.
Picture 2 Do i change the settings in the options? Like now it is 6 and 0 the value. Do i change that? Or like album modus?

Thank you so much,

Mario

1) replaygain scanning used to crash because of a bug in the glib perl bindings, it has been fixed since, but the fixed takes a while to spread among distributions, and it seems yours doesn't have a recent enough version of perl-glib so the scan button is hidden and there is an "unstable" next to the option to show the replaygain submenu in the song context menu.
So it is quite likely that your gmb will crash if you try that. But you can use other programs that can add replaygain informations, I know only of the command-line ones (mp3gain, vorbisgain) but I'm sure there are others.

2) I don't really understand what you are asking, it's up to you to choose the values you want. Though if your songs don't have replaygain info it's rather useless to activate the replaygain option as it will just apply the same gain to every song.
You can check if a song has replaygain info by looking in the info tab of the song property, or adding the replaygain column in a song list (right-click on the column header to add/remove columns)

Thank you for your great help. Merci beaucoup! I fix it with SoundKonverter.

I only have to find out then how to update the perl-glib then. (I'm using Ubuntu 12.04)

Mario

You may change the pre-amp value to whatever you whish. I think the default is +6db to compensate for replaygain turning down the intensity most of the time (when using the default target level of 89db). But I set pre-amp = 0 and turn the knob if needed.

Also have a look at the man pages of metaflac, vorbisgain and mp3gain.

For mp3 files I found this extremely useful perl script from Hydrogenaudio:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33263&view=findpost&p=304667

Then If you want to apply it recursively in a directory hierarchy you may use this bash script:

#!/bin/bash
OLDIFS=$IFS;IFS=$(echo -en "\n\b");for dir in $(find . -type d)
do
    echo "$dir"
    mp3gain-noclip $dir/*.mp3
done
IFS=$OLDIFS]

Similarly for flac I adapted http://www.bobulous.org.uk/coding/tfwrg.tar.gz

Hey hello stormwatch,

Thank you to help me with more information. Unfortunately the links what you give me are not working. I can't open it.
And what do you mean with the bash script. What can i do with that? And where to put it?
I use also OGG/Vorbis for my songs.

Mario