Recent posts

March 05, 2021, 16:24:01
Any idea why composer/conductor tag fields are empty in gmb although they show up in quodlibet or in wine/foobar2000?
This problem occures with mp3, flac, alac, dsd.
Conductor is empty in most cases , some composers show up, even in a compilation album with more composers i would see one but not the others.
I use Arch Linux with gmusicbrowser-git 1.1.99.1.r32.g8f84c7c-2
February 24, 2021, 19:27:31
Evening Quentin,

I was using 123, and as I saw you reply I tried gstreamer. Using gstreamer solved the issue.

Thanks a lot for you help!
February 24, 2021, 00:17:42
Sorry for not replying sooner, which player are you using (in the audio tab) and did you try another ?
You could send me the single track file by your preferred method, I will take a look.
February 14, 2021, 01:37:43
Hi everyone!

Today I've faced the following issue. I exported a track from a CD rip in flac using Audacity, and although I can hear it in Audacity, in GMB the track is played, but no sound in the speakers. In GMB, the entire CD  in flac is played well, but not the exported single flac file.

I also launched GMB from terminal, but no error/warning appears. I don't know what the problem is, other flac files have been exported previously using Audacity, using the same method and everything went as expected.

So the problem is, both files entire cd and single track (exported using Audacity) can be played with sound using Audacity.
The entire disk is played in GMB and I can hear it, but not the exported flac from the entire disk.

Hope you guys, can bring me some clue.

KR,

February 10, 2021, 19:01:49
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. I've got the following problems using the "Screenlet" widget in GMB 1.1.99 Beta:

1. Transport buttons do not always display on mouse over. They work once on an initial mouse over and then on next mouse over they don't appear. After waiting a long time, (doing something else on computer) they will reappear on mouse over.

2. Intermittently, when restarting GMB, the size of the Screenlet widget will automatically enlarge itself even though the settings for the Screenlet widget image size have not changed. Attempting to change the settings from within GMB won't work to restore the correct size. The only way I found to correct this is to delete the current "GMB" config file and rename the previous days "GMBxxxxx.bak" file to "GMB". Restarting GMB then restores the Screenlet widget to the correct size.

3. Very long song titles are not well centered. a long song title is cut off on the left side. Mousing over the song title fails to slide the long title so that you can see it all, particularly the beginning left side (as it did in previous versions).

4. Forgot to add. Left clicking on "Screenlet" to pop up track list and then selecting a specific track to play, also doesn't work. In earlier versions of GMB this worked.

I hope a newer, improved version of the GTK3 version appears soon.
January 30, 2021, 17:20:49
Been loving gmusicbrowser ever since and I am happy to see it being more alive recently.

I am using old hacked iPods, just because they are so great with a SSD and new battery.

I have been looking into ways to sync my playlists or filters from gmb to my iPod.
The manual way via gtkpod is so akward that I spent some time today to get the sync working out of gmb directly onto my ipod.

Here is what I used to do before:
- create playlist in gmb (via labels/filter)
- give playlist a name
- copy name
- mark all tracks in playlist
- export as M3U to a certain folder (paste name for filename)
- open gtkpod
- manually add playlist to my iPod
- save changes
when altering the playlist I would go through the procedure again - for every playlist...

Using two programs is counter-intuitive.
So, here is what I figured out today to make copying to my iPod feasible directly within gmb:

- install gnupod (gnupod-tools)
- Open gmb preferences > plugins > export
- check to execute a command on files
- give command a name for the context menu
- Use this command:
bash /path/to/script/gnupod_add_mktunes $files
The bash script looks something like this:
#!/bin/bash
for arg; do
gnupod_addsong -m /media/user/iPod --decode=mp3 "$arg"
done
mktunes -m /media/user/iPod

The script adds all files selected within gmb (converts FLAC to MP3 on-the-fly, YES!) and then finally syncs the iPod Database via the gnupod's mktunes command.

I made this script because I couldn't figure out how to execute two commands in a row, such as:
gnupod_addsong -m /media/user/iPod --decode=mp3 $files && mktunes -m /media/user/iPodgmb would try to interpret everything after $files as a filename also, which would throw errors.

Then use the contect menu in gmb to execute the command.
Watch the progress by running gmusicbrowser -verbose in a terminal.

So that is how one could copy files to an iPod directly from gmusicbrowser.

Now, what I still could not figure out is how to sync plalists/filters onto the iPod.
Does anyone have an idea how this could be done.

gnupod-tools suggest to manually edit the file iPod_Control/.gnupod/GNUtunesDB (It's a XML File).
Source: https://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/gnupod.html#SEC15
I am not sure how to script this.
If only there was a variable for gmusicbrowser that is the name of the playlist I could write a script.
Is there any? Like %playlistname ...

January 19, 2021, 10:53:57
Thank you.
One of the strengths of this player is it is powerful, and that too can be it's Achilles heal at times. I would not have worked out the expressions in a lifetime. LOL! more of a comment about me than the software me thinks.

My work round is perfect and I am a happy user.

There are some other issues which relate to the templates for the layouts. I will post those at a later time once the beta has made it to release standard as I feel they are less bugs and more UI handling issues and significant enhancements.

Thanks for the response
January 18, 2021, 18:14:55
You should be able to do that with the filter editor.
For the regexp, you want ^Classical( III)?$
But you can easily select just those 2 genres by "Add multiple condition", select "Any of" and add a condition, select genre, select includes, and then select the genre you want, repeat for the 2nd genre.

The dialog is a bit cumbersome to use though, you can also use the Simple Search widget*, simply typing:
genre~"^Classical( III)?$" playcount=0should work, or
(genre=Classical | genre="Classical III") playcount=0

*Sadly I still haven't documented the syntax of the Simple Search widget
January 17, 2021, 16:29:43
OK, guess that the Moderator is unavail to approve this message. I have created a workaround for now by giving one of the Tags a completely different name so that it can be included or excluded separately without issue.

Am a new convert to this player. Have got right into it recently and appreciate the Devs work.

Now that we have had a couple of releases recently, I hope that some of the glitches and occasional odd behavior (all minor but slightly irritating nonetheless) can be looked at. I am a little reticent to bombard the Dev with "issues" yet, but will get to know more, adjust and be back later.
January 12, 2021, 21:55:13
As an example I have 3 Genres Classical, Classical II and Classical III - each is very different and helps me considerable filter out or in things i want.

How can I use the "regexp" (or indeed any other option) to create a playlist of Classical and Classical III where the Playcount is at most 0.

I have been trying all different options including the regexp (which I am crap at) and am getting nowhere.

Ideally, I would like to use an option "Equals" rather than contains.