it seems that this plugin is based on html parsing, if the site design change then the plugin fails.

why don't use allmusic api instead?

from what i remember when last investigating, the allmusic-api has become unfree, so the plugin can't use it anymore. that's why it doesn't work anymore.

it would have to be rewritten for a different site/service.

#17 December 07, 2012, 16:06:12 Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 16:15:29 by stalphonzo
I took the liberty to make some modifications to the parsing code.
So this new version works fine here.
In manual search the column "Label" should be changed to "Genre", but I can't find the corresponding part of the code.
So you have to live with that little weirdness.
Have fun until allmusic.com people change the design again.
Actually the plugin parses the html code itself, so there isn't any api used.

Question: Would a unfree api lead to licensing problems? There is an api and it seems free to use after registration of developer... . Thought about givin' it a try in order to rewrite the plugin, because for me it's the ultimate killer feature of gmusicbrowser.

Fixed a bug causing freezes

Quote from: stalphonzo on December 07, 2012, 16:06:12
I took the liberty to make some modifications to the parsing code.
So this new version works fine here.
Thanks, I took a quick look, it looks ok. What name and email should I use for the commit (once the genre issue is dealt with) ? (the email doesn't have to be valid, it's mostly a unique identifier)
In manual search the column "Label" should be changed to "Genre", but I can't find the corresponding part of the code.
It's in the line :
label => { name=> ::_p('Record_label',"Label"), storecol=>2, width=>110, },
'Record_label' is a hint/identifier for the translation, as "label" is used for other stuff in gmb.
Of course the 'label' string is used as identifier in a few places, so it could be better to change them as well.
Any reason you replaced labels by genres ?

Question: Would a unfree api lead to licensing problems? There is an api and it seems free to use after registration of developer... . Thought about givin' it a try in order to rewrite the plugin, because for me it's the ultimate killer feature of gmusicbrowser.
The problem with the free api is that it is limited to 3500 request by day :
Quote from: licence link=http://developer.rovicorp.com/terms3.2  Usage Limitations. You must access the Content through the APIs in a manner that requires you to fully refresh each time a call is made for Content.  Currently, you are allowed to make up to 3,500 API calls per day in the aggregate, as calculated by Rovi, during the term of this Agreement, with a maximum of five API calls per second in the aggregate, as calculated by Rovi, for each Key issued to you.  Rovi may change such usage limits at any time without notice. In addition to its other rights under this Agreement, Rovi may utilize technical measures to prevent overusage and/or stop usage of the Rovi Property at any time. 

Thanks for your reply.
I changed Label to Genre because the label information isn't available anymore.
I messed a bit with the regexps (seems to work now but it isn't pretty), but I don't when i'll have the time to do it.

update for changed rating on allmusic.com

#22 February 03, 2013, 22:44:13 Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 16:24:09 by Quentin Sculo
I've made some minor modifications (replace label by genre and remove a no longer used field).
I want to commit it, I just need a name and email to put as author for the git commit (the email doesn't have to be valid, it's mostly a unique identifier), so let me know what I should use.

edit: Forgot to say, it's now in git, thanks

Good day every one,

I think i have a problem with the plugin.
When i want to use it GMB freeze.
Any one an idea?

Quote from: watchman on July 16, 2013, 02:23:56
Good day every one,

I think i have a problem with the plugin.
When i want to use it GMB freeze.
Any one an idea?

I have the same problem for some albums. When playing song from some album, Albuminfo - plugin freezes to show "Loading..", all visual on layout freezes (not responding), and after current song is finished no more are played.

Without albuminfo-plugin (unchecked from preferences->plugins) everything works perfectly.

One of the albums I noticed this with is "Stevie Ray Vaughan - 1st Unreleased Album", I've included log from gmusicbrowser -debug as an attachment.

My initial guess would be the line "*** GPerl asked to invoke callback from a foreign thread; handing it over to the main loop", but I don't really have no idea what that implies. I just don't like the looks of that :P

#25 July 22, 2013, 09:45:28 Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:46:52 by watchman
I have it with all the songs. Soon as i start the plug-in then it freeze.
Do you think GMB has still support?

Sorry for not replying on forum, I've fixed it in git 2 weeks ago. I'll try to do a new release soon (1-2 week maybe)

Thanks Quentin Sculo,

Welcome back....and i'll wait.

#28 December 01, 2013, 17:18:10 Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 21:13:17 by VastOne
I have a question regarding the status of albuminfo.pm in the debian repos

A couple of VSIDO users noticed GMB freezing up when accessing Albuminfo in Context

Reviewing the history on this thread,  I noticed that the freeze issue had been resolved a while back

All VSIDO users use the git version of GMB but I also have the debian repo of GMusicBrowser installed because it corrects 99% of any dependency issues.

Checking the file sizes in git and what is in /usr/share/gmusicbrowser on albuminfo.pm, they are different.  The git file is 35.1k in size and the /usr/share/gmusicbrowser file is 34.7

I verified that copying the git version of the file to /usr/share/gmusicbrowser and replacing that resolves the freezing issue

The question I have is, when using the git version does it actually look and use ~/gmusicbrowser/plugins/albuminfo.pm or is it looking first at /usr/share/gmusicbrowser/albuminfo.pm? Or, if you have a version in ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/plugins, when would it be read?  What is the priority in reading from these locations of the same file?

Thanks