July 02, 2010, 16:13:45 Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 00:02:17 by y0z
I have been using gmusicbrowser (1.0.2 and 1.1.5) for several weeks. It's been working so well in that short time that I've made it my primary music player in Fedora 13.

I would like add a suggestion to your Planned features/fixes list for getting MPRIS support in gmusicplayer. It's supported in music players that are less robust than gmusicbrowser such as audacious, banshee, exaile, listen, quod libet, and rhythmbox. Plus, gmusicplayer with MPRIS will be able to be controlled from cairo-dock, awn, and similar docks.

I hope you consider supporting MPRIS in gmusicbrowser.

PS: (Removed the scrolling marquee)

I have exactly the same request.
Because I use Cairo-dock... ;)

yes it's planned, I think someone started to work on it, I'll try to add this in the coming weeks.

Sweet...
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

I've made a first version as a plugin (only for 1.1.x) :
http://gist.github.com/502595
save it as ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/plugins/mpris.pm

I haven't tested it much yet, let me know if you have problems with it.

#5 August 19, 2010, 00:15:18 Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 00:17:37 by y0z
I installed the mpris plugin the day after you uploaded it...
I was just waiting for a version of Glx-Dock/Cairo-Dock that properly supported GMB without a lot of fudging about...
The wait is over: http://www.glx-dock.org/tt_task.php?p=2&t=59

The mpris plugin works great!!! Thank you!!

For anyone that wants to get GMB working with Glx-Dock/Cairo-Dock:
1. Install GMB 1.1.x
2. Install and enable the mpris plugin (see previous message for instructions)
3. Install Glx-Dock 2.2.0 (This is the development version. The stable 2.1.3 won't work).
4. Enable musicPlayer plugin in Glx-Dock and select gmusicplayer from the list of players.
5. Enjoy the sweet holy goodness that is GMB in Glx-Dock  :P

I've updated the plugin to fix a few small bugs (same link http://gist.github.com/502595), let me know if something doesn't work. I'll push it to git soon.
btw, MPRIS v2 was released a few days ago, I'll implement it too.

After installing the new MPRIS plugin, I used Glx-Dock to start and stop GMB...
I clicked play, stop, pause, reverse, forward, and other buttons in Glx-Dock and GMB responded fine...

The only issue is with the Information button in Glx-Dock... When clicked, it displays information about the song in a popup window... The album, artist, song, and length display but not the track number...

This may not be an MPRIS plugin issue - I can't tell - but the command dbus-monitor does show the tracknumber and other song information.

I'm too lazy to install glx-dock right now. But could you try modifying this line in the plugin (line 100) :
$h{$_}=dbus_uint32($h{$_}) for qw/time mtime year audio-bitrate audio-samplerate disc/;
by
$h{$_}=dbus_uint32($h{$_}) for qw/time mtime year audio-bitrate audio-samplerate disc tracknumber/;
(simply add  "tracknumber")
and see if the the track number problem persist.

I added the word tracknumber to mpris.pm... My line 100 looks now like your example...
After starting GMB, the problems persists...
FYI: The tracknumber field in the Information popup looks like this:
Track n? 0

Just so you know, I don't use notifiers/information popups.. I only turn them on in GMB & Cairo to test the GMB/mpris features... The ones that I use - stop start, pause, and album art - are working great!!  :D

So it's not a show stopper for me.. Still, if you need someone to test this or any other feature with GMB/mpris, let me know!  :)