hi,
i was using GMB 1.1.6 on Maverick
i did a fresh install of natty and installed GMB 1.1.7 from andreas' repository
before that i saved all tags to file from GMB settings, i did check the option "write to tag" in the rating and playcount in fields.
but on the new version, GMB doesn't have the playcount of my library nor the ratings i saved in the previous versions
did i miss something?
and what is Identifier in file tag?
by the way i still have my old home/.config/gmusicbrowser folder . will any file from that help in restoring my ratings etc?
Dr subodh

The option "write to tag", only affect future modifications, I should probably make that clearer :(
To write all the ratings and playcount, you have to turn on that option for both, restart, select "update tags..." in the "tags" tab, and select ratings and playcount in that dialog.

Quoteand what is Identifier in file tag?
It's a string used to identify a user, so that you can save a setting by user in the tag. It can also be used to use more than one rating.
But you don't need to set it if you want only one rating by file.

Quoteby the way i still have my old home/.config/gmusicbrowser folder . will any file from that help in restoring my ratings etc?
Yes, that's what you should do when reinstalling. The file ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/gmbrc contains everything, you just have to copy it into your new home.
If the path to your music files have changed, the best way is probably to do a search and replace in the gmbrc file.

btw, the preferred way to do a linux re-install, is to keep your home in a separate partition, that way you can re-install all the system files, but keep all your personal files and settings. (though a backup is always a good thing)

thanks Quentin
restoring the old gmbrc restored not only the ratings but the playlists and filters also
although i always had a backup plan when i migrated from windoz-mediamonkey last yr that i selected all songs with a certain rating and wrote the number in comments field. so all i had to do was search for the number in gmb and rate all of the results accordingly.

one more thing off the topic, is somebody working on a zeitgeist data provider kind of thing for GMB?
dr subodh

Quoteone more thing off the topic, is somebody working on a zeitgeist data provider kind of thing for GMB?
Not that I know of, I'm not very familiar with zeitgeist, but it should probably be rather easy as there are internal signals for any field modification, so a a plugin could easily do something with it.

ya
zeitgeist data provider plugin will be a good idea to launch the recent or most commonly heard songs directly from the dash of unity or even with synapse in Maverick
thanks
subodh