Hello,

It's easiest to explain by example.

Let's say I have a folder 'A-ha'. In this folder are various songs. None of these songs has an album tag. They are single tracks. And I've set individual cover art for each song (the single cover). But gmusicbrowser displays only one cover art pic from one of these songs in the folder, for all these tracks. In other words: 'The Sun always shines on TV' has cover art of the single cover, but it's not displayed. Instead, the cover art of the song 'Manhatten Skyline' is being displayed. And this was obviously chosen randomly for all songs in this folder.

Is there a way to tell gmusicbrowser to use for each file its own embedded cover art instead of 'one cover art for the whole folder'?

Not currently. Currently all songs that don't have an album set are grouped by artist into an "album". That fake album is then treated as other albums, including for the selection of the album picture.
You are of course free to create single-song albums, though I admit it is not very nice, and "pollute" the album list a bit.
Having singles grouped as an album has some nice uses, like seeing a list of them when clicking on the current song if it is a single. For its picture you can use a picture of the band or something, you can also of course choose "no picture".

About the specific problem of the picture displayed when a single is playing, I already thought about adding an option to the Cover widget to display the artist picture when there is no album picture. So I guess I could add options to display the embedded picture in some cases. One mode would always display it. Another could display it only when the album doesn't have a picture, which in your case would require to first choose "no picture" for the "A-ha singles" album (I should probably disable the auto-selection of pictures for unknown albums). And maybe a mode that would show the embedded picture for singles.

btw, in your example the picture is marked as "composer", so it probably won't be picked up by some of the modes I'm thinking about for the Cover widget.

Good idea with the band picture. I think it would be really nice to have such option if there is no cover art.

In options users could be able to choose:

[ ] Always try to display embedded cover art of current song if no album tag is set (for singles with individual cover art).
[ ] Download alternative cover art for singles without cover art (band picture).
[ ] Ignore embedded cover art of singles

Oh, and as for my screenshot: The cover is set as front cover. But when scrolling down, the whole pane slided under my mouse pointer, so that I accidentally scrolled this selection list while the mouse pointer hovered over it. This is just another example why overlay scrollbars in Ubuntu sometimes really suck. Maybe the items within this pane could be aligned to the left side? Then users will not accidentally change the cover setting when scrolling down.

I appreciate the ideas of "disabling the auto-selection of pictures for unknown albums" and adding an option to use embedded cover art!