Hi

I found Gmusicbrowser very recently, and was REALLY impressed by what it had to offer. Simple, fast, handles big collections easily.. nice little touches like the 'create auto playlist from similar off Last.fm'.

Last week I got a Mac (Got a MacBook Pro, and I'm forcing myself to try OSX for a month before I just wipe it and install Linux), and I'm appalled by how rubbish iTunes is, and there are no decent substitutes that I have found yet. The only good thing is that the podcast piece is quite slick. Other than that, it is slow as hell, and very limiting - will not organize any non-apple USB device for instance, so my car audio need to be manually copied across off folders. Keeping a music library on the network drive is also not very good for it, apparently.

Anyways, I was wondering if it was possible to compile the gmusicsource for OSX (Mavericks)? Has anyone done this before? Is it pretty straightforward, or not really worth it?

Ta,
Jean

I must say I have no OSX experience, but it is likely to work. It is written in perl, so no need for compiling, but it requires a few things:
- perl
- gtk2
- gtk2 perl bindings
to actually play something, you will need one of those :
- gstreamer 0.10 and its perl bindings
- mplayer
- mpg123/ogg123

Lastly there is the issue of the display, it seems there is a OSX gtk2 that use quartz, in that case it's ok. Else you need something that let you display a X11 app (I know that exist but nothing more)

My guess is that you should be able to find packages for most of those, the perl bindings might be the hardest to find, you may need to compile those.

Let me know how what you manage to do, or if you need more help, I'd be happy to fix any bug in gmusicbrowser itself that would appear in OSX. Though keep in mind I know nothing about OSX.