I'd love to have a quick way to search and get on with work.

When I open the search window, esc doesn't close it. Well, in quick search mode I can do tab and esc, then it works. Not so in SongTree mode: esc doesn't do anything. Even better I should be able to map ctrl+F to the big search field on my layout (arkanoid) but this seems not to be possible...

Also, the shortcut to send to cue should work on that window too.

Thanks

I've made a small change to make the SongTree and FilterList not "eat" the escape key when the search-box is not shown.

Making the escape shortcut work when the focus is on the SimpleSearch widget or making a ctrl-F shortcut with a SongTree/SongList/FilterList is another problem. Currently these shortcuts only work if the widget that currently have focus doesn't use it first. Maybe I should add a way to make some shortcuts have priority over the current widget.

To add a shortcut to set the focus on the SimpleSearch widget, you can add this line to the layout :
KeyBindings   = c-f SetFocusOn(SimpleSearch)
(or add it to an existing KeyBindings line)
c-f is for ctrl-f, as I said above ctrl-f is used by some widgets, so it won't work when they have the focus, but another shortcut might work better.

QuoteAlso, the shortcut to send to cue should work on that window too.
it works for me, what shortcut have you tried, and with what command exactly ?

QuoteKeyBindings   = c-f SetFocusOn(SimpleSearch)
This seems not to work for me (1.1.6; maybe I should try the git head?). I've tried many shortcuts. c-f, c-/, / (one-key shortcuts are eaten by the small search box)
Also, the shortcut to send to cue should work on that window too.
it works for me, what shortcut have you tried, and with what command exactly ?
ctrl-q.

There's something interesting about 'add to queue': it doesn't add in track order. When I drag and drop to the queue window, things are sorted bt track but not when I do ctrl-q (from main window, as it doesn't work on the search window).

THanks

In general, esc should close all pop-up windows, not only search. For example, the 'search album art' window should be closed too (this is -I think- general GUI gnome guidelines).
It's particularly important for people using tiling window managers, since we don't have a 'close' button.