Hi.

First of all, I would like to express my thanks for this software. It's a very nice software, and the only other music player I found worthy of the comparison are Foobar on Windows, and Guayadeque. But I'm not entirely satisfied with the later, so I'm sticking with gmusicbrowser, as I have for at least 3 years now.

So, back to my problem and the reason I'm posting here : recently I noticed that gmb won't save the statut of the current playlist being played ("last song currently played" and the like), when it's shutdown abruptly (as in "sudo halt" typed in a terminal). In fact, when you close gmb with, say, "xkill', it has the same issue. The next time I launch gmb, it's as if the previous session never existed in the first place. So I'm guessing gmb doesn't save it's current configuration properly unless I explicitely click on "Menu > Quit".

FYI I use the latest version straight from ochosi's PPA (currently 1.1.9.2). And all the relevant option in the "Misc" tab of the configuration panel are enabled. Please tell me if you can reproduce the problem, and if you need additionnal infos like debugging informations, etc.

Have a nice day.

Hi, currently gmb only save its config/db when told to exit by the user. You need to use the included autosave plugin to make it save every x minutes to limit what is lost when it doesn't properly exit. (you can also tell it to quit or save via the fifo or DBus)
I plan to make gmb session-aware so that it saves when the gnome/kde/... session closes but it's rather low priority as there is not, as far as I know, a standard way to do it (meaning I have to support each desktop individually). Well, there is the old -use-gnome-session command-line option that worked with gnome 2 (requires libgnome2-perl) not sure if it works with gnome3 or the gnome2 fork.

Well I don't think that the cleaning process should be specific to a desktop environment. I mean, you could always end gmusicbrowser prematurely with a SIGTERM signal by running "killall gmusicbrowser" in a terminal. I believe that's what most desktop environment do anyway (just send a TERM signal to each subprocess).

So I think the standard way to do it, and what gmusicbrowser should do, is precisely to trap such a signal. I don't know perl very well but I think the following example might be somehow what you need :

http://www.linux-bsd-central.com/index.php/content/view/41/35/

In the meantime, I'll use the autosave feature of course, it should alleviate the problem.

gmb already catches the TERM signal and do a save and quit when it happens.
But last time I tried, gmb doesn't get any signal when the desktop or system is shutdown.

Oh, then I don't really know what to say. I noticed that when killed with "killall" gmb does save and quit, but that's not the case when I use xkill or halt. I guess it's just a matter of trapping the appropriated signal. I'll do some investigation on that latter and tell you if I  find anything.

Okay, I give up. When I let my session manager close gmb, it ends up unexpectedly with the error message :
gmusicbrowser: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.

The same behaviour can be repeduced by using "xkill" to terminate gmusicbrowser. So it's not an issue of catching the right signal, and I don't know what's causing this (it might not be related to gmb at all !).