This is probably my favorite music player but is the only way it displays album art from raw files in the folder? Does it not display album art stored in the meta data? It's quite troublesome to manually grab each file from the internet and put it in the folder when every album already has it in the metadata. I can't find a way to do this. Can you?

v1.0.x can use pictures in metadata, for mp3 only, but only if you select it manually : right click on album, select picture, pick a mp3 with embedded picture.
v1.1.x support embedded pictures in mp3, ogg, flac and m4a, and use it by default for the album in most case.

I wanted to reply to this, only because I asked a similar question last month, here http://forum.gmusicbrowser.org/index.php?topic=421.0 and the answer you gave doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm using version 1.1.7, and I have most of my album artwork embedded in ID tags. But I _do_ have to choose it specifically.

For example (just to be specific, in case I'm not being clear), I have the AC/DC album _If You Want Blood, You Got It_. If, in the "itunes-like" layout, I double-click on a song from this album, it will start to play, and the upper right corner will show a two-star rating (I never use ratings, I'd love to make this go away) and a "speaker" icon that pops up a volume slider. But there's no image, even though there is artwork in the file. If I right-click the album title, and choose "Set Picture", I'll get a window with a file browser for that directory, but with the album cover already displayed. If I select "OK", then everything's good, and from now on all the songs on the album will display a thumbnail of that artwork, in between the rating and the speaker icon.

But I don't want to have to do this manually for every album. I know you said that it should be automatic in v1.1.x, but it doesn't work for me.

I'd be happy to help debug, if this really is supposed to work, and I'm not misunderstanding something....

Thanks.

In addition: Is there a way to get the art to display larger? For example, if I'm in that layout and I click the album art, I get a songlist of that album. How, in that layout, would I see the full-size art, instead of the thumbnail?

While on the topic of album art...does anyone else experience a lack of google images and lack of larger sized images showing up when doing a search through GMB?

Jester: For newly added albums, it should, in most case, pick a picture if one is in the same folder. For already added songs, you should select all the albums (ctrl-a or just click on "all albums", in the upper-right album list in the itunes-like layout), and select "auto-select pictures" in the right-click menu. This should in most case pick a picture. The case where it won't is if the folder contains songs that are not considered as being in the same album.

About removing the rating stars, you need to edit the layout, or make a copy with a new name of the one you are using, and remove "Stars" from it (including the "_", "-", or numbers put in front of it if there is)

To make the cover bigger, you need to edit the layout, or use another one. You might want to take a look at the new contributed layouts I included in v1.1.8 (I just noticed that I mistakenly removed itunes-like from 1.1.8, I'll add it back in git).

Default: the cover search plugin needs an update for google images, the updated version was in git for a long time, lucky for you I've just made a release :) so you can just upgrade to 1.1.8.

Mmm, no, this still doesn't work.

Again, my art is stored in ID tags in each individual file, it's not in a separate file in the folder. Gmusicbrowser does not automatically pick this if I add a new album, nor if I use "auto-select pictures". It _does_ pick it if I right-click the album and choose "Set Picture", but it seems I have to do this manually, every time.

It would be nice if the cover-search plugin gave you the opportunity to save the image in ID tags like this. I prefer keeping the images there, because that way each file "Just Works", you can use it with any software and the image is there, the file layout doesn't matter, etc.

Am experimenting with editing layouts to do what I want; thanks. Being able to click on the album image and pop up a separate window with the full-size image, would be nice.

I forgot about it, but currently only embedded covers whose type is "front cover" are used automatically. I'll add an option to use those with no type once I add a way to configure the auto-cover-picker, maybe it should be the default.

about saving the picture in the tag, it's planned, one thing I wonder btw, is should it be saved in all files from the album, or only one (first track), I guess I'll make it an option.

about popping up a big cover, you can try this :

add this layout :
[CoverPopup]
VBmain= Cover(minsize=650,maxsize=650,click1=CloseWindow)

and add something like :
(click1=PopupCustom(CoverPopup))  or (hover_layout=CoverPopup,hover_delay=100)
to "Cover" in the layout you are using

Thank you very much. About saving the picture in the tag, I do think that it should be saved in all the files from the album, not just the first one; it's more flexible that way, as each file has the info it needs (if you had the song separate from the album, you don't have to worry about where the art is, etc.).

Thanks for the suggestion on popping up a big cover; I now see that this is in the layout documentation. Which is, I must confess, somewhat hard to grok, so can I ask for a little more hand-holding? In, say, the itunes-like layout, the Cover that's part of HBupper will pop up a songlist when you click on it. Where is this behavior specified (e.g. if I wanted this cover to pop up a larger cover instead)? And, perhaps better (since it preserves this behavior for the HBupper section): suppose in the itunes-like layout I wanted to have a cover in the left pane (that has the "Saved filters" and "saved lists", I think it's VBfpane3?)--a cover in the bottom of this box that would pop up a larger cover as you describe in your previous response?

Thanks for being so attentive to questions, it's really appreciated.

The menu you get when clicking on the cover is the default behavior, it can be replaced but the menu itself is not configurable for now. You get the same thing when clicking on the album name btw.

To get the second cover in the left side with a popup, you can simply replace the line :

VBfpane3 = _FilterPane3(nb=1,hidebb=1,pages=savedtree) VProgress
by
VBfpane3 = _FilterPane3(nb=1,hidebb=1,pages=savedtree) Cover2(hover_layout=CoverPopup,hover_delay=100) VProgress

it's Cover2 instead of just Cover to distinguish it from the other (each widget in a layout must have a unique name, numbers are used to make them unique).
the VProgress widget is invisible while no progress bar is needed (it's a new widget in v1.1.x, so it is not yet in the layout doc, I'm going to update the doc very soon.)

Absolutely awesome, works a treat. Thank you again!