I'm sure i posted about this some time ago, but i can't seem to find the topic.
Oh well.

Anyway, just finished a full, clean install (hooray for data-loss) and GMB is picking up genres it shouldn't be.
I use a standardised set of about 80-90 genres and all the tags on my collection are very clean yet GMB is listing genres such as '(17)' - Looking at the track properties, it's listed there as '17, <whatever the other genre is>' and '<*>' should be the only genre.

Have i configured something wrong / is there a fix?

The best way to understand the problem is to send me one of these files (by email or some other way). Were these genres written by gmb or by an other program ?

I'm not sure how they got in there, but i know they aren't in the IDv3 tags. I've now manually removed all the offending tags, though.

I suppose i should re-focus my question to:
How can i get GMB to only read IDv3 tags?

It probably is in the id3v2 tag, but it may be a mistake by the software that wrote it, or a mistake from gmb. The id3v2 specifications are not always very clear, from id3v2.3.0 specs :
QuoteReferences to the ID3v1 genres can be made by, as first byte, enter "(" followed by a number from the genres list (appendix A) and ended with a ")" character. This is optionally followed by a refinement, e.g. "(21)" or "(4)Eurodisco". Several references can be made in the same frame, e.g. "(51)(39)". If the refinement should begin with a "(" character it should be replaced with "((", e.g. "((I can figure out any genre)" or "(55)((I think...)". The following new content types is defined in ID3v2 and is implemented in the same way as the numerig content types, e.g. "(RX)".