hey there,
i realized that many other players out there display something like an empty cd-case when no album-cover is available.
basically implementing this would be my suggestion for gmusicbrowser.
(on the other hand this feature would come with some drawbacks/problems like the missing album-name in mosaic mode which would make it hard/impossible to identify an album without clicking/hovering. maybe there's a way to have both - empty cd-case with albumtitle on it?)

so what do you guys think - useless bloat or nice eyecandy?

I plan to add this, and also an optional overlay (for cd case or something). What I'm wondering is if it should be a global setting, or a per-widget setting (option for the Cover widget for example) or both.

I personally don't like default cover-art, mainly because the default picture is often ugly.

i guess per-widget would be nicer, simply because it's more flexible. (or maybe even both is possible? like a general on/off switch and then the option to enable disable the functionality widget-wise.)

i agree that the default pic is often ugly, but that doesn't sound like something we couldn't fix :)

cd-case sounds good btw, drop shadow or reflection would also be nice.

For those interested, I've implemented a few new options for the Cover/ArtistPic widgets : http://github.com/squentin/gmusicbrowser/commit/e9a26e3a
:)

regarding the default artist pic and/or default cover, is it possible to use this option with the AAboxes?

What is the option to use for this widget ?

I've tried this :

AABox3(aa=artist,group=Play:artist,nb=4,default=/home/jacques/.config/gmusicbrowser/layouts/nocover/nocover.png)

but it don't seem to work...maybe I have a mistake in the code, but can't find it...

it's not yet possible, I will either add it or replace AABox by a combination of other widgets including Cover/ArtistPic