Recent posts

July 11, 2022, 22:08:10
This one is pretty flukey, so hopefully you'll be able to help. I gun Gmusicbrowser on my main, Ubuntu machine, and everything works fine. I also run it on my Pinephone, which runs Mobian, a Debian distro. It works fine here, too, except often times my album art doesn't load. It will load fine on my desktop and laptop, but I won't see anything on the phone.

When I go to edit the tags for a song with missing artwork, it'll say 'unknown' under embedded pictures. If I go to advanced, and down to picture, it'll just say 'error' where the thumbnail should be.

I have tried to isolate image size as the problem, the presence or absence of ID3v1 tags, or anything else I could possibly think of. I can't find any reason why these covers won't load. They're all jpg, and I'm running 1.99 on all devices.

Any thoughts how I might be able to get the album art loading on Mobian? I can give you more details if needed. Thanks.
June 30, 2022, 20:36:38
I'm using gmusicbrowser version 1.1.99.1, downloaded from github, on Arch Linux. I've been using earlier versions for many years.

In most ways, the gtk3 version looks and works fine; however, there are some icons that are missing. In particular, the main "Recently played songs", "Play", and "Next song" buttons don't have any icons. Hovering over the space where the icons should be, shows a tooltip with the above descriptions, and you can click on the space to trigger the action. So the functionality does work, it's just the icons that aren't there. They are missing in several different layouts, not just the custom one I normally use.

How am I supposed to get these? I think that I have normal themes installed on my system, and I couldn't see anything about this in the FAQ.
June 30, 2022, 18:42:11
Hi Quentin,

I just bought a new PC.I installed GMB 1.1.16 on Ubuntu Focal.
The plugin to fetch album covers works only for Bing and DuckDuckGo. Other (google, yahoo, slothradio) do not work.

Is there a way to update this plugin ?
May 31, 2022, 18:10:33
Thanks for the answer. I certainly hope you can fix it since it seems X-Server's days are numbered and Wayland seems to be the future.
May 25, 2022, 00:55:00
I haven't tried wayland yet, but it's quite possible that it requires changes for some things.
A *very* quick search turned up this: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/-/issues/110 which seems to indicate that wayland doesn't want to let apps position its windows? I guess it will requires some searching to fix, if it's even possible.
May 06, 2022, 20:31:55
Is anyone noticing display problems running Ubuntu 22.04 with Wayland? After upgrading from 20.04 using X-server, 22.04 using Wayland prevents me from using the "Screenlet" widget or any other widget on GMB 1.1.99.1. Wayland is the default compositor for Intel and AMD video on 22.04.

The specific issue: when I activate a GMB widget, I can't move it or resize it at all. It remains locked to an arbitrary position on the monitor and refuses all settings to move in the X and Y coordinates or to change size or fonts. I'm running on an Intel NUC "Skull Canyon" mini pc, so the video is fixed to "Intel". Rebooting to the X-Server version of 22.04 corrects the problem.

GMB hasn't been updated since 2020 so I don't know if the issue is primarily due to Wayland compositor or GMB being out of spec for 22.04. I'm also noticing similar problems with "Cairo-Dock" and a few other applications which worked fine under Ubuntu 20.04 but not 22.04. 
March 31, 2022, 02:35:35
It's weird. One possible difference when started on system boot is that some environment variables might be different, but I don't know why it would cause a crash.
If it still happens (sorry for answering so rarely and so late) maybe try to find the error, it may be logged in ~/.xsession-errors or maybe look for an error in /var/log/syslog.
Alternatively, if it is a problem with environment variables, you can look at them in /proc/PID/environ where PID is the pid of the process, add some line breaks and compare when started from boot and when not.
March 12, 2022, 19:48:56
Hi,
I installed the latest version of GMB on LinuxMate 20.2 MATE.
GMB is automatically started on system boot.
When I right click on a song and do "Open folder", GMB quit.
But if I restart GMB, then the problem does not happens again.
I notice that this only happen if GMB start on system boo. If I start GMB manually after, the problem does not appear.

This is quite strange.
How can I know what is the source of this bug ?

Thank you for your help.
March 06, 2022, 08:50:15
hi there,

this is a great player indeed, so many customizing options available!

just a couple of suggestions, hopefully to make this player even better.

1. Album artist is not scrobbled to last fm. This is particularly useful for Various Artists compilations.
2. auto-tagging using a web service, musicbrainz for example.
3. "Search for a picture in internet" has never returned me any image. i think there is room for making things better here.
4. Play count synchronization with last.fm

thanks a lot

peace!

George
March 02, 2022, 02:18:57
MountainX couldn't post a reply because of a forum error so he posted his answer there : https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/t2e28b/how_to_copy_music_files_and_playlist_to_android/hym0jve/?context=3

Let's see if I can post this reply...