October 23, 2012, 20:22:03 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 20:25:08 by mb_3000
Hello. I've been trying to get gapless playback to work for a few days now and haven't.  I already know it's a gstreamer problem.
I did find something interesting about mpg123. when I give it any two mp3 files as argument like this:
mpg123 -C 1-04\ 2\ Minutes\ To\ Midnight.mp3 1-05\ The\ Talisman.mp3

in the terminal, the gapless playback works flawlessly.
but when I choose mpg123 in gmusicbrowser the gap comes back. I read the other thread about gapless where it said that if you use mplayer the problem is that mplayer closes and relaunches with every new file, and corrent me if I'm wrong, I think the same thing happens with mpg123, doesn't it?

I'm thinking, if there's a way for gmusicbrowser to feed mpg123 with the entire playlist, instead of each file individually, that would fix the gapless playback problem you have. I don't know if this is possible though.
btw, I've tried quite literally *every* linux music player and gmusicbrowser is clearly the best one out there. thanks for all the hard work :)

It's complicated. Putting the list of files in the command line is not really an option, as it can be quite big, and change frequently. I guess you could put all the following songs on the album, but there is still the problem of stopping it before playing a song it shouldn't, as you can't know before the last second whether the user will want to play the next song on the album.
With command line player, the only way to properly support gapless if through a command-mode,(that gmb use for mpg123 and mplayer IIRC), but it requires support on the part of the command-mode to pre-load the next track, which I don't think any do currently.

yeah I was thinking telling the player what the next song would be from gmb would be difficult.
thanks for replying!