April 30, 2010, 12:13:18 Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 14:11:17 by Sven
When I run gmusicbrowser on Lucid, it doesn't find gstreamer. For the moment I'm using mplayer, but gstreamer always worked fine for me, so I was wondering why it doesn't show up. Maybe I missed some packages?

Oh, and the menu bar (in some themes) looks really shitty with the new Lucid theme. Is there a way to fix that? I don't like the new theme how it is now (because the migration sucks), so it's not your fault.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5083/gmb.png

Those were the first two things I noticed while running gmb (git) in Lucid.

Edit: Found another one. You can't enable the tray icon.

Edit2: Got it. It apparently doesn't install any of the packages here when you do sudo apt-get build-dep gmusicbrowser...

http://ns2.canonical.com/en/lucid/gmusicbrowser

Edit3: Installing those packages fixed the issues with gstreamer and the tray icon. But now the tray icon appears to have a gray background instead of a blackish one. This has been reported at https://bugs.launchpad.net/gmb-np. The problem is that it takes the window background as the background for the icon, instead of the menu bar background.

And the gray vs blackish menu ugliness remains too ;)

how did you install it ? The missing packages are marked as "recommended", so it's up to the program you used to install it to decide.
apt-get build-dep install the build dependencies, which are almost non-existent with gmb.

About the tray icon background, what needs to be fixed is the Gtk2::TrayIcon perl package, I'll take a look. Though it's more or less deprecated and replaced by the GtkStatusIcon. The GtkStatusIcon is a bit more limited, in particular, I don't think it can show a popup immediately, so I don't want to remove Gtk2::TrayIcon, but I may add GtkStatusIcon as an option or plugin.

About the menu, some themes use a different background on menus, or some decoration, which looks really bad if the menu is not at the top of the window and/or doesn't use the whole width. Maybe I'll add an option for menus to force them to use the normal background, I'm not sure how easy it is to do. An other possible fix is to create non-menu widgets for these functions.

I just sudo make install the git repository like I've always been doing. It worked for two releases I think, but this time I actually had to do something to get everything to work. I know what apt-get build-dep does, but it used to work before...

And I already guessed the tray icon was not your fault, but I thought you might wanted to know what was going on. Same with the menus. It's something with really low priority (something like automatic album cover detection is more important), but now someone who runs into the same problems can find them in this post ;)

For now I guess I'll just fix my home-made theme.

using gmusicbrowser 1.1.5 (from git) in xubuntu lucid here and haven't encountered any problems yet.
the trayicon works fine with xfce-panel just like it did in karmic and before (and the others weren't problems/bugs really ;) ).

About the trayicon transparency, I think I fixed it in git, at least it works when I set a picture as the background for my panel.
Can someone using the ubuntu lucid confirm this ? (it requires the Cairo perl module)

Yep, fixed. Also, the Cairo perl module was already installed for me. Great work again! ;)

Sadly, it broke the transparency in xfce4-panel and lxpanel, don't know how it works in kde.
I don't see any way to make it work in both gnome and others, I don't know what I will do. :(

Can't you do one for gnome and the other for xfce? Like ifdef gnome then use this, and for everything else the other?

I could easily only activate this on some condition. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to detect if it's needed. The only way I see to detect it currently, is looking at the names of running processes, or looking at the names of the windows. But that would be a really ugly thing to do :(

btw, the commit in question is : http://git.gmusicbrowser.org/commit/9d4f5c1b20, as you can see, it's easy to deactivate.

just a quick heads-up on some further testing i did:
the new version works with the *new* (not yet released) version xfce panel (4.7.1).

but as discussed on irc moving the whole thing to a plugin and making the workaround an option might still be a good idea.

update: in xfce4-panel-4.7.1 the transparency only works with the patch for gnome-panel from git, not with the older version.
i conclude that it is bad behaviour of xfce-panel or/and lxde's panel in their older versions (or maybe standards have changed?).

Quote from: Quentin Sculo on May 03, 2010, 15:07:18
About the trayicon transparency, I think I fixed it in git, at least it works when I set a picture as the background for my panel.
Can someone using the ubuntu lucid confirm this ? (it requires the Cairo perl module)

Hi. I confirm too that with the latest git v1.1.5 and Fedora 13 with gnome, the trayicon is perfectly transparent.

Hey guys,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, and the white background on the trayicon still is present, even though i'm using the latest devel from gmusicbrowser:

Here's a screenshot of my tray, and as you can see, there still is a white-ish background on the gmusicbrowser logo (it was there as well before I changed the color of the logo to a more fitting one):

Anyone who can help me? I already checked the version of libgtk2-trayicon-perl, and it's the most recent one (0.06-1) thanks!

hey drazgo,
sorry for the late answer.
seems your using gmb from the shimmer-repository which currently decided to focus on supporting transparency for xfce/lxde-panel.
if you want transparency to work in gnome-panel just uncomment line 6360 in /usr/share/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser.pl

in case you encounter other problems/bugs with the version from our ppa feel free to check in at #shimmer (on irc.freenode.net) or report the bug on launchpad (https://launchpad.net/gmb-shimmer).

Quote from: ochosi on June 18, 2010, 10:46:17
hey drazgo,
sorry for the late answer.
seems your using gmb from the shimmer-repository which currently decided to focus on supporting transparency for xfce/lxde-panel.
if you want transparency to work in gnome-panel just uncomment line 6360 in /usr/share/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser.pl

in case you encounter other problems/bugs with the version from our ppa feel free to check in at #shimmer (on irc.freenode.net) or report the bug on launchpad (https://launchpad.net/gmb-shimmer).

Hi again,
I would love to uncomment that line, but I can't seem to find that file in that directory  ??? Here's a screenie of the dir: