Hi Folks .....     just ran into gmusic browser .... seems to have a lot of configuration ability ....

here's what I desperately want to do as there is NOTHING close (with the exception of Guayadeque) that has this ,,,

cover transfer to device.

Here's how I see the flow chart for it ....

1 - track queued for copying

2 - Song Database entry queried for cover art location

3 - Track copied to device in folder

4 - cover art converted to small file (format and  size changed to
variables set in device preferences) - copied to designated folder in
device

5 - As a further part to this feature, possibly copy the  album and artist info into a
txt file and leave it in the designated folder.

From what I can see here I feel like the api is in place already for this .....

What do I need to do?

Tim

there is no real device-support in gmusicbrowser (yet), but i guess what you're talking about is the "export"-plugin.
that plugin mostly copies tracks to a given directory in a folder-structure/filename you can decide, but that's about it.

would you "simply" want to extend that plugin or do you want something different?

#2 October 12, 2011, 12:13:16 Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:29:48 by coacharnold
well it depends on the purpose of the original plug in .....  as far as Mass storage devices the export plug in is perfect ....  to do it right though it would need the ability for multiple entries/devices.....  I'd like to furthur it and have the option to copy the text from the artist info plug in info to a text file in the artist folder over on the device, along with a cover thumbnail...   What is this written in?  What can I do ??

As it stands tight now there is almost no device cover support across the board. I have been struggling with this forever. I'm on KDE so I never looked at gmusicbrowser as I thought it was a gnome only player..... but it seems to work perfect in kde running kubuntu 11.04

What are your thoughts on this stuff?

Thanks for the quick response

Tim

yeah, i guess something like "profiles" for different media-players/mountpoints might make sense and probably wouldn't be too much work to implement (even though i have to say that i know very few people who own/use more than one mp3-player, but more people using the same pc are a possible use-case).

the artistinfo-plugin by default saves artists' biographies in ~/.config/gmusicbrowser/bio/%a, but you can change that in the plugin's settings page.

i guess you can look at the existing plugins as a starting point and try to modify them.

what is the bottom field in the export plug in for?   (at work right now and don't have it in fron of me sorry ) ...

but what kind of command can I pass in that ........  could I pass something like ....  for each export entry > copy cover art > device folder > copy artist info > device folder 

What kind of things can I pass to the program from there?

t

oh yeah ....... and I have like 5 different devices that I use regularly .....  ..

- workout deivice

- phone

- Player connected to headphone amp for good headphones

- Car device

- travel device ....

and yes LOL i like having stuff across multiple device.   I would argue that folks that have extremely large collections also use multiple device....  sounds like a good poll

oh yeah ... and I'm a big nerd ....  so I have devices that are in various stages of broken that I tinker with as well.....  (rockbox) 

I've planned for some time to add a way to export the cover with the files. I've been hesitating on the gui, but I'll implement it soon.
Adding profiles is a good idea, I'll see if I can implement it with a not too complicated gui.