Hey, new guy here, new to the forums and linux.  I've been a windows guy for 13 years and finally got tired of it.  Although I have had some experience with the BSD's (Open and Free) and just switched to Ubuntu 11.04 then upgraded to 11.10.

So I'm pulling all of my music from the external NTFS drive.  I'm a DJ too so it's quite a bit to load.

I loaded all my music and then it saved it, after a few days it didn't see the library as if it was erased or never existed in the first place.  I thought that was odd but may have just been a one time quirk and loaded it again.  Then when I shut down and reloaded it did the exact same thing to me.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?  Banshee is alright I guess but it said this was specifically tailored to large collections and Banshee grinds my computer to a halt when trying to load everything.

I don't know why your library disappears, but
1) enable the plugin "save" in configuration menu (every 15 min seems good)
2) if your library disappears you could reload an older save (see under)

gmb doesn't offer restoring tools, but it's easy to do this without tool :
all the parameters are in a single file : /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.config/gmusicbrowser/gmbrc
(.config is hidden ; in nautilus file browser you could show hidden files with CTRL+H)
if "save plugin" is on, the older gmbrc are too in /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.config/gmusicbrowser/ (format : .gmbrc.bak.date)
juste erase/rename gmbrc and rename the last gmbrc.bak.date in gmbrc
launch gmb and take a look of your libray
if it matches, do nothing else
if it doesn't match, try with an older gmbrc.bak.date

I experiment a lot of music browser, and gmb is the one with less library loss, but it occures - and I save gmbrc regulary, as I do with important files.